Testa & Pagnanelli, LLC
Free Initial Consultation215-392-0863
  1. Home
  2. Blog

Philadelphia Family Law Blog

Patience is imperative in co-parenting situations

Moving from a household with two parents to one with only a single one can be challenging. When you are going through a divorce, you are going to have to go through that transition. You need to ensure that you don't let the stress of the situation determine how you react to anything.

One thing that you are going to have to learn is how to stretch your patience when your children, your ex or anyone else irks your nerves. Before you react to any negative situation, remember that your children are watching you as an example of how to behave. Not doing what you should do when you get stressed could teach them the wrong behavior.

Domestic abuse accusations can mean family law and criminal cases

Domestic violence is a very difficult situation for everyone involved. When children are involved, things can become even more complicated. The judge who is overseeing a child custody case in which one parent is accused of domestic violence must ensure that the children are protected. This often means that the accused individual has to deal with some strict limitations on their parenting rights.

For the most part, the court is going to order that a parent who is accused of domestic violence has supervised visits with the children. These won't involve overnight visits, but there is a good chance that the order will change over time.

The ins and outs of restraining orders in Pennsylvania

Domestic violence is an issue that the state of Pennsylvania takes very seriously. Anyone accused of committing acts of domestic violence will be investigated, charged if appropriate and convicted if the evidence against them is solid. Those who allege to be victims of domestic abuse can take steps to protect themselves, such as seeking restraining orders against their abusers while simultaneously working to dissolve their relationships officially.

Restraining orders in Pennsylvania are actually called Protection From Abuse Orders. Anyone can apply for one for themselves or their children. If granted, the PFA is good for a maximum of three years. What does it take to get a PFA? What does this order stop an abuser from doing?

Child support orders should be detailed

Parents who go through a divorce will likely have to address the matter of child support. In Pennsylvania, these payments go through a centralized system unless both parties agree to handle the matter privately. Some cases go through the Domestic Relations Office via an Application for Child Support.

When the court is asked to determine how much support a parent should pay, it looks at two primary factors. The first is what the paying parent can reasonably afford. The second is how much support the child needs. From there, it will use a special formula to determine what each payment will be.

Parenting plan negotiations don't have to be a nightmare

Coming up with the terms of the child custody agreement with your ex might be one of the points of the divorce that you are dreading. This doesn't have to be difficult if both adults are willing to work together to do what's best for the children. You can look into the parenting plan points that you need to work on. Take the time to review the possible arrangements so you know what's possible.

One of the first things that you need to determine is where your children will live. Even if you and your ex will split parenting time evenly, one home is going to be their primary residence. Once you know this, you can work out the parenting time schedule. This needs to be realistic, so base it on what both can reasonably do.

Handling marital property can involve complex agreements

The property division process mystifies some people. It is a complex undertaking if you have considerable assets. Even if you don't have many things to divide, you will need to think about different categories of marital property that you need to split. These might include bank accounts, retirement assets, real estate and even debts.

One of the first things that you need to do when you are going through a divorce is list out the assets and debts that you have to divide. When you have them all down, you should make a note about which ones are marital and which are separate. Your focus is determining how to handle the marital ones.

Model positive behavior for your children during divorce

Encouraging your children throughout your divorce can help them to learn coping skills when they face difficult changes. You must think about your child's unique needs so you can determine how to assist them best. Their age and maturity level might also have an impact on this.

One of the most important things to do is to let them know that you are here for them. They need to know that their parents still support and love them. Keeping the line of communication open also lets them know that they have someone to talk to when things get overwhelming.

The unexpected costs that may arise after the end of a marriage

If you are going through the end of a marriage, you might be facing a variety of difficult choices, each of which might impact your future in various ways. With a multitude of factors to address while preparing for the subsequent process, you could also be feeling somewhat overwhelmed and in need of guidance.

Taking measures to better prepare to seek a favorable outcome during legal proceedings can be a vital component to safeguarding your future. However, with the level of stress that can accompany dealing with post-divorce changes and financial demands, knowing the challenges you might encounter could also prove imperative.

Supervised visits are an opportunity for bonding

A person who is accused of domestic violence is likely going to feel the effects of the accusation before a conviction is a factor. One thing that might happen is that you will be required to have supervised visits with your children. While this isn't ideal for you, the court might be doing this out of an abundance of caution for the kids.

It is up to you to make the most of these visits. This is your time to continue to build a relationship with your children even though you only have limited time with them. If you go into these visits with a plan and a positive attitude, you might find that the time goes much better.

Flexibility in child custody plans often benefit children

When you and your spouse divorce, you will have to make some difficult decisions -- such as who gets the children for specific holidays and what type of parenting plan you can agree upon. Trying to work through the terms of the agreement can become challenging when you and your spouse don't agree on all the points.

For many people, flexibility is one of the hallmarks of a solid shared parenting plan. Children's schedules will change often, and the parenting plan must include contingencies that absorb those changes. We can help you to work out the terms of the child custody agreement. We want to help you find solutions that:

  • Put your children first
  • Enable you to create positive memories with your children, despite limited time with them
  • Will work to give them the stability they need to thrive throughout their childhood.
Email Us For A Response

Start Your Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Philadelphia Office
1500 JFK Blvd, Suite 1020
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Toll Free: 866-201-1112
Phone: 215-392-0863
Philadelphia Law Office Map

Montgomery County Office
325 Swede Street
Suite 201
Norristown, PA 19401

Toll Free: 866-201-1112
Phone: 610-239-1000
Norristown Law Office Map

Radnor Office
150 N. Radnor Chester Road, Suite F-200
Radnor, PA 19087

Toll Free: 866-201-1112
Phone: 215-392-0863
Radnor Law Office Map