During marriage, couples become accustomed to a certain lifestyle. After a divorce, it takes both sides time to adjust to life without the support of the other spouse. Spousal support (or alimony) can be awarded to assist during the transitional period. At our firm - Testa & Pagnanelli, LLC - we work with clients throughout Montgomery County, Norristown, and the surrounding areas to help them receive the financial support they need and deserve after a divorce.
Contact our office at (610) 365-4733 for your complimentary consultation today.
Factors of Spousal Support (Alimony)
Spousal support is based on a few factors. In some situations, spousal support may be available even if the couple is not getting divorced.
In most situations, spousal support is based on a number of factors, including:
- The length of the marriage
- Contributions by each spouse to the marriage
- Salary of each spouse
- Earning capacity of each spouse
- The age and overall health of each spouse
- The marital standard of living
- Contributions either party made to the training or education of the other
When our spousal support lawyers in Montgomery County work with clients, we take the time to understand all the details of your specific situation. We understand how emotionally draining and frustrating the process can be, and we will work to help you achieve a favorable outcome.
Types of Support
In Pennsylvania, there are 3 types of support a judge may choose to award to a party and are dependent on the factors listed above as well as the stage of the divorce process they are in.
An individual may be awarded:
- Spousal Support: This is awarded after a legal separation, but before the filing of a divorce
- Alimony Pendente Lite: This is awarded after the filing of the divorce, but before the divorce is finalized
- Alimony: This is awarded after the divorce is finalized
Commonly, the higher-earning party is responsible for paying the other party a support sum. Spousal support and alimony pendente lite are determined based on a mathematical formula. For example, if the paying party has a net income of $4,000 a month and the party seeking payment requires $4,800 to pay their bills, the paying party will be required to pay $800 a month for a period.
How Alimony Can Impact Your Financial Future
Alimony, also known as spousal support, is a critical aspect of divorce proceedings that can significantly impact your financial future. Understanding the different types of alimony and the factors that determine the amount can help you navigate this complex process.
Types of Alimony:
- Temporary Alimony: This type of alimony is awarded during the divorce process to provide financial support to the dependent spouse until a final settlement is reached.
- Rehabilitative Alimony: Rehabilitative alimony is designed to assist the dependent spouse in acquiring the necessary skills or education to become self-supporting.
- Permanent Alimony: Permanent alimony is awarded when one spouse is unable to become self-supporting due to age, disability, or other factors.
- Lump Sum Alimony: Lump sum alimony is a one-time payment made to the dependent spouse, usually in lieu of ongoing monthly payments.
At Testa & Pagnanelli, LLC, our experienced alimony attorneys in Montgomery County have a deep understanding of the complexities involved in spousal support cases. We are dedicated to protecting your rights and ensuring a fair outcome that takes into account your unique circumstances.
Contact our Montgomery County alimony lawyers today to discuss your case and learn how we can help you navigate the alimony process.
Contact Our Montgomery County Alimony Lawyers Today
We can help address your needs and work to make sure you receive the support you need after your divorce. Learn more about the financial support you may be eligible for by working with a family law attorney.
Devoted to Our Clients & Their Families
I highly recommend Maria TestaAlyssa H.
If you need a family law lawyer look no further! Maria is who you need!Trina M.
Testa & Pagnanelli Law is reliable, professional, and a good value law firm!Former Client
Individualized Approach Tailored to Meet Your Family's Goals
Efficiency You Deserve
Our firm will work to help you reach the next chapter quickly, efficiently, and without wasting your time and resources.
Focused Exclusively on Family Law
Don't leave the most important part of your life to chance, our team is highly experienced and solely focused on handling family law matters.
Well-Respected in the Legal CommunityOur attorneys have an impeccable reputation within the legal community and are highly regarded in their field.
Over 75 Years of Collective ExperienceBetween our attorneys, we have over 75 years of collective experience in ensuring your legal rights are advocated for.