Testa & Pagnanelli, LLC
Free Initial Consultation215-392-0863
COVID-19 UPDATE: Testa & Pagnanelli, LLC, IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS. We can meet with you in-office OR virtually via Phone/Zoom/FaceTime.
  1. Home
  2. Blog

Seeking protection from domestic violence

Pennsylvania's Protection from Abuse Act allows domestic violence victims to seek a court order to help protect themselves and their children from a spouse, other family member or an intimate partner, who is committing abuse. However, each county has different procedures for seeking these protection from abuse (PFA) orders.

Generally, a victim files a PFA petition with the local court outlining the abuse and the type of protection being sought. The court will hold a hearing, without the alleged abuser, to review the petition and may ask questions. A judge may grant a temporary PFA and set a hearing date. Or, the judge may deny a temporary PFA and schedule a hearing within 10-business days. The abuser receives copies of the petition and any other documents that are filed.

The judge may issue a final PFA after holding the 10-day hearing. This PFA may remain effect up to 36 months. But, at this hearing, the judge may request testimony from the victim.

The judge has the power to grant many types of relief. This includes a restraining order, prohibiting the abuser from threatening, abusing, stalking or harassing the victim and the children or from having any contact with them. Courts can also forbid an abuser from contacting them at their work or school.

The judge may also grant temporary child custody to the victim. Courts can grant temporary child or spousal support and out-of-pocket expenses as reimbursement for the abuser's conduct. The abuser may be compelled to return pets, cars, keys and important documents to the victim and to surrender weapons to the sheriff.

A judge may also evict the alleged abuser from a jointly-owned residence or exclude the abuser from the family home. A victim's new address or location may also be kept confidential.

Police may arrest an abuser for violating terms of the PFA, like no-contact provisions. However, police cannot arrest an abuser for violating any of the PFA's orders relating to finances.

It is important to seek guidance from a domestic violence advocate or other professional over safety precautions when these arrests are made. Many times, an abuser may be released after these arrests.

An attorney may be able to assist victims with these types of domestic problems. Legal assistance may help with seeking a PFA or other court remedies to help assure their well-being and the safety of children.

Source: PCADV.org, "The Pennsylvania Protection From Abuse Act," accessed on Sept. 5, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Start Your Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Philadelphia Office
1500 JFK Blvd, Suite 1020
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Toll Free: 866-201-1112
Phone: 215-392-0863
Philadelphia Law Office Map

Montgomery County Office
325 Swede Street
Suite 201
Norristown, PA 19401

Toll Free: 866-201-1112
Phone: 610-239-1000
Norristown Law Office Map

Radnor Office
150 N. Radnor Chester Road, Suite F-200
Radnor, PA 19087

Toll Free: 866-201-1112
Phone: 215-392-0863
Radnor Law Office Map