Testa & Pagnanelli, LLC
Free Initial Consultation215-392-0863
COVID-19 UPDATE: Testa & Pagnanelli, LLC, IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS. We can meet with you in-office OR virtually via Phone/Zoom/FaceTime.
  1. Home
  2. Blog

How do I seek a child support modification after my divorce?

Life is full of changes and this is also true following a divorce. After a divorce, former spouses will have a divorce settlement and child custody order and child support order. Divorced couples in Pennsylvania may wonder, however, what happens if something changes. In general, post-divorce modifications can be requested based on certain circumstances following a divorce. In the case of child support, a child support modification may be granted in certain situations and circumstances.

In Pennsylvania, a child support modification may be granted in circumstances when the income of either parent increases or decreases significantly; the child has significant or continuing medical expenses; the medical insurance coverage changes or the child care situation changes; the parents begin living together; the child begins living with the noncustodial parent or a party other than the custodial parent; the noncustodial parent is incarcerated; the child is 18 or has graduated from high school; or in circumstances of a substantial change in circumstances.

A parent may request a child support modification in Pennsylvania if they believe a significant change in circumstances has an impact on the child support amount ordered by the court. In addition, parents will be contacted every 3 years and asked if they would like their child support order to be reviewed. Child support plays an important role in the lives of children and families and in both the recipient parent's life and the paying parent's life. Because of its importance, the family law process seeks to provide resources to assist families with their child support concerns.

Circumstances can change following divorce which is why it is important that divorced parents are familiar with the options available for requesting a post-divorce modification, such as a child support modification. The family law process if available to help and guide families through important concerns as they come up.

Source: Bureau of Child Support Enforcement, "Pennsylvania Child Support Enforcement Program," Accessed May 11, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Start Your Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Philadelphia Office
1500 JFK Blvd, Suite 1020
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Toll Free: 866-201-1112
Phone: 215-392-0863
Philadelphia Law Office Map

Montgomery County Office
325 Swede Street
Suite 201
Norristown, PA 19401

Toll Free: 866-201-1112
Phone: 610-239-1000
Norristown Law Office Map

Radnor Office
150 N. Radnor Chester Road, Suite F-200
Radnor, PA 19087

Toll Free: 866-201-1112
Phone: 215-392-0863
Radnor Law Office Map