Testa & Pagnanelli, LLC
Free Initial Consultation215-392-0863
COVID-19 UPDATE: Testa & Pagnanelli, LLC, are committed to meeting your legal needs. We can meet with you virtually (Skype or FaceTime, for example), by phone or in person.
  1. Home
  2. Blog

Can a parent modify a child support order after a job change?

Reaching fair and agreeable terms during dissolution often takes times, and some divorcing couples in Philadelphia might have to overcome many challenges and resolve several dispute to come to a divorce settlement. While some of these decisions will remain and will go unchanged after the divorce decree is signed, when children are involved, terms involving the children might require adjustments as they age. A child support order may no longer provide the financial needs of the child or a parent may find it difficult making the required payments. Such situations could mean modification.

Can a parent modify a child support order after a job change? When a noncustodial parent is required to pay child support due to a support order, he or she is obligated to meet the terms of that order, which typically includes monthly payments to the custodial parent to cover the costs of raising their child or children. However, if the noncustodial parent becomes unemployed, is transitioning job or changed jobs, this could greatly impact his or her ability to make these payments.

When a substantial change in circumstances occurs, such as a change income, a noncustodial parent can seek child support modification. When this is requested, courts will consider a variety of facts before approving or denying the request for modification, which helps determine if there has been a substantial change in circumstances.

In addition to unemployment and a decrease income serving as reason to modify a child support order, a parent could seek modification for other reasons. This includes a significant change in the child's need, an increased cost of living, a parent has been incarcerated, income increase after a parent remarries or a parent has become disabled.

If a parent believes that they have cause or reason to modify or alter their child support order, it is important to understand if modification is a viable option. Additionally, parents should understand what this process looks like and how it could ultimately impact the child or children involved.

Source: Family.findlaw.com, "Can I Change a Child Support Order After Changing Jobs?" accessed March 14, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Start Your Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Philadelphia Office
1500 JFK Blvd, Suite 1020
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Toll Free: 866-201-1112
Phone: 215-392-0863
Philadelphia Law Office Map

Montgomery County Office
325 Swede Street
Suite 201
Norristown, PA 19401

Toll Free: 866-201-1112
Phone: 610-239-1000
Norristown Law Office Map

Radnor Office
150 N. Radnor Chester Road, Suite F-200
Radnor, PA 19087

Toll Free: 866-201-1112
Phone: 215-392-0863
Radnor Law Office Map